Part-Time Bus Operator
|| $19.72 hourly
| UNION AFFILIATION:
|| Local 589
|| Bus Transportation
|| A valid Driver's License is required.
| SAFETY SENSITIVE:
|| This is a Safety Sensitive Position. Incumbents will be subject to periodic random drug & alcohol testing.
| ESSENTIAL CLASSIFICATION:
|| During declared States of Emergencies, employees working in this classification are required to report to work for their assigned work hours or as directed by supervisory personnel.
The Part-time Bus Operator will operate an MBTA Surface Vehicle; be responsible for the safety of passengers and
equipment; perform vehicle inspections to ensure proper operation; collect designated fares from passengers;
assist in emergency situations and work under occasional supervision following MBTA guidelines and procedure.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operate a surface line vehicle along assigned routes.
- Pick up passengers; collect fares; check passes and ID cards for validity.
- Protect revenue collected according to defined procedures.
- Inspect and/or test the vehicle (including but not limited to brakes, lights, signs, doors, mirrors, wipers, tires and
horn) to ensure serviceable condition.
- Regularly climb onto side of bus and reach with hands and arms to adjust side view mirrors.
- Ensure the proper signs are displayed and changes as needed during each trip.
- Clearly announce destination at service stops and connecting points.
- Notify the Bus Control Center Dispatcher of any emergency, requesting additional assistance if needed; and
evacuate passengers if the emergency situation warrants action and the Inspector is not available to make the
- Refer disputes over ID validity or fare collection to the Official in charge of the station.
- Produce a written report to the Superintendent if the dispute is not resolved.
- Prepare accident reports as required.
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor or co-worker in a courteous and professional manner.
- Be familiar with the MBTA Safety Plan as well as the Part-time Bus Operator job responsibilities as outlined.
- Work any and all shifts and/or locations as assigned or directed.
- Respond or report to work as directed by supervisory personnel for emergencies, extreme weather conditions or
nay other abnormal conditions that impair service or safety of service, twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7)
days per week.
- Adhere to the rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreements (if applicable) and policies of the Authority
including EEO, Anti-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment and Anti-Retaliation policies.
- Possession of a high school diploma or its equivalent (G.E.D.).
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Ability to successfully complete validated selection exam.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Possession of a valid Class B Massachusetts Commercial Driver's License (CDL) permit with General Knowledge, Air Breaks, and Passenger endorsements at the time of hire.
- A satisfactory driving record for at least two (2) years prior to the date of hire.
- A satisfactory non-renew display for tickets report from the Massachusetts Registry of Motor
- Ability to pass background screenings including criminal background check, driving record check,
educational verification, employment verification and references.
- Ability to pass selection interview.
- Ability to meet the MBTA medical qualifying standards established for this position, including a drug
and alcohol test.
- Ability to pass the Department of Telecommunications and Energy (DTE) skill performance and road
- Ability to read, write, comprehend, speak and respond to instructions, posted signs, and inquiries in
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, employees, and vendors.
- Successful completion of the required probationary period of 120 working days.
- Availability to work twenty four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week.